Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Illustration Friday - Muddy

 
2.5 x 3.5 inches ATC
The Potter

Life like art is messy.  Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty.

Sculpture and ceramics was my emphasis in college.  I really love 3D work even though most of my art these days is 2D.  In ceramics I considered myself more of a hand builder.  I could throw a decent pot but I never felt I had a flair for refined form on the wheel.  The best thing about it was getting good and sloppy muddy.  I loved being in my paint stained and clay covered overalls.  I felt like a real artist.  I am a much cleaner artist now that I have to make art in more professional "teacher clothes", but a good dirty apron still helps me feel free and creative.

5 comments:

  1. You do wear the apron at school, though, right? What a funny thing--to make a drawing of what is basically a tactile process. It works very well, but isn't the same thing at all....I totally agree about the getting dirty being so satisfying....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have one of those great prison aprons in school, it was covered in paint and clay and everything you could imagine. And I was more of hand builder than a wheel worker too.

    Great image, brought back a lot of memories for me. Wonderful take on "muddy".

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great take on the theme! Very evocative

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was an avid handbuilder once upon a time. My favorite was raku, so rustic. Love your illustration, wish I'd thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your take on this theme Sally, great illustration! I think you've stirred the primal part of all us artists - I was never good at any 3D art, but just the process of getting into all that wet clay felt great!

    ReplyDelete

I am a comment junkie. Let me know what you think.