Saturday, April 24, 2010

Lindale Students Attend State VASE

I apologize for being slow getting these up, but as we get closer to the end of the school year I only seem to get busier and busier.

This year five of our students advanced to state competition in art.  We traveled to Seabrook, Texas and the University of Houston - Clear Lake for the event.  Due to the distance, we arrived on Friday, April 9th and spent the afternoon visiting the Museum of Fine Arts - Houston and the Menil Collection.  This was my first opportunity to visit both of these institutions and I must say that they are now some of my favorite art museums in the state of Texas.  In addition I was able to visit the Rothko Chapel.  While not my favorite example of Rothko's work, it was still a serene experience and worth the visit.


 Left to right - Walter James, Katherine Trevarrow, Brenda Arzola, Matthew Sutter, Brittany Hudspeth, and Carianne Starling




















Our students at the Flavin Installation - part of the Menil Collection


We spent Saturday at the State VASE competition where we viewed a staggering amount of outstanding high school art.  Our students were able to participate in studio activities as well as watch some fantastic demonstrations by working Texas artists.  All in all it was a successful and inspiring trip.   We made it home safe and sound by about 9:30 Saturday night. 


A chalk artist working with high school students for one of the demonstrations.  I apologize,  I have  forgotten her name.


Participants viewing some of the 2D art.


The 3D work was shown on multiple levels of the building


I can't wait to go again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment junkie. Let me know what you think.